Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Where's the Focus? - A Style Principle

One of my side-jobs has been to do some editorial/proofreading work for Barron Cuadro over at Effortless Gent. I was working on a piece recently that brought up a strong point that I thought was worth mentioning over here (without spoiling the upcoming EG post).

That point is that, no matter how much we love clothing and style, and the accessories and accoutrements, color-ways and patterns, the focus should always be you.

Put even more simply, your clothing (and the choices you make regarding them) should be purposed to make you look better, not the other way around. 

A jacket so loud it will drown out whatever you have to say.
Picture c/o STREETFSN
I think this is a great thing to keep in mind, especially to those of you new to the style game, and I say that completely based on my own experiences. I remember how easy it was to get caught up in flashy new pattern-matching that I had just learned how to put into action, combined with the excitement of my first tie-bar, and wanting to put that bold new blazer to use as soon as it came in the door, and how many times that probably resulted in outfits that drew all the attention to what I was wearing, and away from me. 

Even now, as I'm much more comfortable with my personal style, and have learned (I hope) to master the art of balance subtlety and boldness, I think it's important to keep this principle in mind, lest I get too carried away with my attire and distracted from my character.


Sorry to pine philosophical, but it happens! Carry on, dapper dudes. Oh, and keep an eye for that post on Effortless Gent. The above point aside, it's a fantastic article. Due out this week, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment