Thursday, March 14, 2013

Irish-ing Myself



After some weather-related shipping delays, my Frank and Oak crate arrived today. Included in my items was this green chambray button-down shirt that I ordered as a nice St. Patrick’s day treat for myself. St. Patty’s is one of those holidays that is too easy to go way overboard with. All green outfits abound, including ridiculous stockings and shamrock shorts and garishly green ties and bright top hats and t-shirts with stupid slogans and the list goes on and on. As ‘grandfather-ish’ as I may sound saying this, a lot of folks could stand to look a little more grown up on March 17th. However, as I’ve written before, I do like to do something on the holidays and won’t turn down an opportunity to be a little festive. All these things in mind, my general rule is to never buy anything for St. Patty’s day that I won’t continue to wear the rest of the year. The idea is to get something fun but not a costume. This shirt, for example, more than fills the ‘wear something green’ rule, but also just generally makes a nice springtime piece that will bring some color to my wardrobe as the weather warms up. The green isn’t too in-your-face and the gingham pattern is a classic that has been especially popular in the past year or two (one of my favorites). I’ll probably wear this with jeans this weekend, but I can easily pair it with some light grey pants and a dark tie to wear to work.

What do you think? How do you pick your St. Patrick’s day style?

No comments:

Post a Comment