Thursday, May 29, 2014

Deals and Steals for the Weekend - 5/30/2014

Alright, folks, we've made it through another one! So here we go:

"Every weekend, check in on the blog for a collection of the best (read: my favorite) deals and steals on the interweb for some quality shopping over the weekend. Have any to add? Share them in the comments or shoot me an e-mail. Also, if you're biting on any of these hooks, I'd love to hear about it!"

Nothing to ramble about today, so right to the deals:

Extra 15% Off at Brooks Brothers (code EXTRA15):
Brooks Brothers is running a nice 15% discount, which isn't huge, but when you apply it to some already-marked-down clearance items, you can snag some really good finds. My first pick is this OCBD:
Solid Oxford Donegal Sport Shirt | Brooks Brothers
Yeah, I know, you guys are probably getting tired of seeing OCBD's here, but this one is a bit different, with a donegal fleck to the solid white pattern that I don't think I've seen anywhere else. To me, it's a great way to add some variety to your shirts without losing the versatility of a classic white button-down. At just under $30 with the discount (originally $70), it' not hard on your wallet either.

I also spotted this raglan-sleeve pullover, discounted to around $50 from $120:
Raglan Crewneck | Brooks Brothers
First off, this thing just looks damn comfortable. Like, I wish I had one on right now. On top of that, I'm digging the cream color and the contrast ribbing and stitching. The whole combo shouts 'beach layering' to me - a perfect way to warm up on a cool summer night.

Last, take a look at their selection of slim chinos. Nothing mindblowing here, but I've noticed that brands tend to only put their wacky, go-to-hell pants in the clearance section, so it's really nice to see a lot of great staple colors like khaki, mid-brown, grey and dark green. 
Slim Fit Chinos | Brooks Brothers
These are part of their 'Red Fleece' line, which ensures a slimmer, more modern fit - really don't think you can go wrong with these, especially marked down from $90 to just $38.


Up to 40% off Select Styles and Gap:
Gap, like J.Crew, seems to constantly have some sort of sale going on, but this round really seems to focus on spring/summer styles - and with the great weather we've been having (finally), I've got my eye on a few pieces. First up is this oxford popover in a horizontal stripe:
Modern Oxford Popover Shirt | Gap
I'm honestly loving everything about this - the popover shirt is my latest obsession, and a perfect alternative to the polo (slightly less sporty, more preppy, bingo). Horizontal stripes shake things up and add a kind of beachy vibe, and the modern tailored cut ties it all together. Currently $36, this normally runs $45.

Next, I pretty much always include a pair of lived-in chinos when I recommend picks from Gap - they are just so comfortable and the fit is spot on. This time around, they've got a pair in this color they are calling 'gale green' running $42 (down from $60):
Lived-In Slim Khaki | Gap
It's a bit earthier than mint, but greener than a forest or olive, so it has a nice seasonal flair without standing out like a sore thumb (you'd be perfectly fine wearing these to the office). 

Last, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of white jeans - I wanted white chinos for the summer, but every pair I try on is see-through, so I'm leaning towards opting for denim instead: 
1969 Slim Fit Jeans | Gap
It's not a look I usually rock, so I don't want to spend a ton of money, just in case I don't put it to much use. $46, down from $70, is certainly do-able, plus I have a pair of slim jeans from Gap and was really happy with the fit, whichI found to be between Levi's 511's and 513's. 


Jack Spade via HauteLook:
HauteLook is Nordstrom's flash sale site, very similar to Gilt or MyHabit. This week, they've got Jack Spade on sale, which is pretty awesome cuz Jack Spade makes some great stuff, but is generally pretty far out of my price range. Their line puts a heavy emphasis on luggage and bags, and while there's a decent selection on Haute, I was actually drawn instead to a few really fantastic looking ties. The first one that caught my eye was this silk tie with a small houndstooth check:
Alain Houndstooth Silk Tie | Jack Spade via HauteLook
I love a good houndstooth pattern, and while you see it more often on suiting materials, I think it looks great on a tie. The scale on this one is small enough to look almost solid from a distance, but get up close and you see the mix of red white and blue (a nice touch for 4th of July, perhaps?). Grab this one for $55, down from $130.

Keeping on scrolling, I was also caught by this pastel-striped tie in 100% linen:
Peele Stripe Linen Tie | Jack Spade via HauteLook
The colors and the fabric come together perfectly to make an incredibly summery tie and an effortless way to really embrace the season. The washed out blues and reds remind me of an oxford cloth, which I think gives the whole thing a very preppy vibe, which is right up my alley. The linen option is even cheaper than the silk, at $41 (originally $100).

Last, I picked out this orange and blue striped tie. Remember our article on how to work trendy-yet-abrasive orange into your wardrobe? Here's another great way to do it:
Graham Striped Silk Tie | Jack Spade via HauteLook
The blue stripes tone down the orange, making it less in-your-face and much easier to match with the rest of your closet. I'm also really digging the raw silk and the slubby neps peppered through the fabric, which really adds another layer of visual depth. This one is also priced at $55, originally $130.


Uniqlo Weekly Promotions:
I'll wrap things up with just a quick shoutout to these chinos from Uniqlo:
Slim Fit Chinos | Uniqlo
I picked up this exact pair when I was in San Francisco last month, and they've become one of my favorite pairs. The dusty blue (kind of like those green ones above from Gap) is a great balance between bold and subtle, the fabric is very comfortable, and the slim fit has just the right taper below the knee. They are always damn affordable, but are knocked down by an extra $5 to just $25. Just do it. Wait, that's Nike...oh well.


That's all folks! Unless you have some deals to share in the comments...hint hint...

No comments:

Post a Comment