Thursday, October 23, 2014

Classy in College: Tips for Breaking the College Kid Stereotype

Things have been crazy over here, hence the slow output. As I've been working on figuring out how Wide Eyes, Tight Wallets is going to settle out after the move and the new job, I was thrilled to get an e-mail from Rickey Jones of 'The Mod Prep' expressing interest in putting together a guest article for y'all. We chatted a bit, and I think he's got some great insights - especially for the younger, college-bound crowd - so Rickey's going to walk us through his best tips for undergrad style:

So, the number one stereotype I have seen in college so far is, LAZY FASHION! When we graduate from high school and start college, everyone says, "I'm going to wear sweatpants and t-shirts everyday!" - and the sad thing about that is, many students actually do it!


Acceptable college style? We say no! (Photo via MPR News)
I am sick of it, I couldn't imagine waking up everyday thinking, "Hmm, which color sweats are we going to wear today, Rickey?" Then again, I do care about fashion, and the way I look everyday. 

I've done my research, and it shows that many students don't dress well in college, because they aren't serious about their education. My whole thing is, WE PAY TO GO HERE, so why are you not taking your education seriously? With all that in mind, I'm going to share some tips as to how to be Classy in College with your dress!
  • Get Good Rest: I know this is hard in college, but it is very important! Receiving enough rest during the night almost guarantees you a better day, because you are well rested, and you have a clear focus on the day. Also, getting good rest will help you be more prompt, and help you be more alert and more aware of your outfit decisions.
  • Look for Student Discounts: They are everywhere! Banana Republic gives 15% off of regularly priced items with a student I.D., trust me, I've used it numerous times! Not only do you end up paying less than retail price, but you can keep your closet CURRENT with new trends and pieces.
  • Post an #OOTD: If you don't know what #OOTD stands for, it means Outfit of the Day. I love it because it keeps me on my toes as to what I have and haven't worn in my closet, and let's my showcase my style everyday! I have started a LOOKBOOK.nu account, so that you guys can keep up with what I wear on a daily basis, that way you can get some style ideas as well. (Editors Note: I love this idea as a way to challenge yourself - if you don't have the confidence yet to publish your looks online, keep them to yourself for now. If you're ready to step out and show off, feel free to use the platform of your choice - Rickey digs LookBook, I personally rock Instagram on an (almost) daily basis. Reddit's Male Fashion Advice is also a great place to share - but don't let the haters get you down.) 
  • Surround Yourself with Successful People: Let's face it, the most successful people in this world have a very keen eye for fashion, whether they express it or not. Steve Jobs had a signature style with a black turtleneck, light-washed jeans, grey New Balance Shoes, and round-framed glasses. While this memorable outfit was not always 'en vogue', it was what Mr. Jobs was known for, and he was a very successful man. My own mentor, Dr. Anthony Robinson, is ALWAYS dressed to the 9-10-11, he is a very successful man, who cares about what he wears, and how he looks, especially since he makes multiple trips to the gym everyday. Similarly, I would like to say that I have had a substantial amount of teenage success, and have developed my own signature style of preppy layers! 
Dressing well isn't just about looking good, it's about feeling good, and knowing that you have confidence to do anything you set your mind to. I have an elevated level of confidence, because I know that when people see me, they see a professional young man who is on the move - I want that to be you, too!

A little more about Rickey (in his own words): "My name is Rickey Jones! I am a 2nd Year Marketing Student at Georgia Regents University. I started writing on my blog, The Mod Prep in 2013. My obsession for style has stemmed back from as long as I can remember. My grandmother is a professional seamstress, and she was the one who taught me how to sew! My ultimate goal is to create my own international brand.  I love fashion, home decor and all things fun." 

That's all folks - sorry, no 'Deals and Steals' this week...traveling to the Poconos in PA tomorrow for a gloriously tech-free weekend in the woods. I'll be back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment