Monday, June 30, 2014

4th of July - Simply Patriotic

Alrighty, since the 4th of July is right around the corner, and we had to take a day off last week due to technical difficulties, we’re throwing out an extra post this week with a quick and simple recommendation for a classy but patriotic outfit.


Part of developing your style is learning from your mistakes. In an effort to be patriotic last year, I donned this outfit. Now, I still think the styling itself was pretty on point for the holiday, but to be honest, I basically wore this on the train to our friend’s house and then immediately changed to go hang out and grill on the beach.


This year, I’m going to be a bit smarter and wear something a little more versatile. I mulled over a few options, but settled on really what I think are the perfect two pieces to wear.


Up top, I’m gonna rock a nautical-themed blue and white striped tee - I picked mine up from Bonobos on a great sale for something like $15, but these shirts are everywhere and you should easily be able to find one to fit any budget. This one from J.Crew Factory is right on point and clocks in at $17:


Slim Stripe Pocket Tee | J.Crew Factory



Right there I’ve got the blue and white, and I’ll add the red with a pair of red chinos. I don’t wear these too often, as I tend to go for slightly more subtle colors, but honestly, of all the bright colors to wear, red can be surprisingly versatile. Bonobos makes some of the best chinos in town, and this slightly faded red style will be perfect.


Washed Chinos | Bonobos
Like I said, the combo is beautifully simple, and made even better by just how easy it is to dress this combo up or down. As it is, this is perfectly appropriate for the beach, the bar, a casual restaurant, or a backyard barbecue, but just one or two substitutions will adjust the formality with ease.


Quickly make it more casual by swapping out the chinos for shorts, or picking a more casual shoe (I’ll probably be kicking it in either my white Jack Purcell’s or brown Sperry boat shoes, depending on my mood).


9" Gramercy Shorts | J.Crew Factory - $25

Jack Purcell Canvas Sneakers | Converse via MR PORTER - $60

Authentic Original 2-Eye Boat Shoe | Sperry Topsider - $85

Likewise, all you need to do to dress this up is throw on a navy blazer, or even just trade the tee for a light blue OCBD., and maybe some more formal shoes like a blue suede loafer:

Ludlow Sportcoat in Navy Lightweight Cotton | J.Crew - $168


Oxford Slim Fit Long Sleeve Shirt | Uniqlo
Ellington Moc Toe Tassel Loafer | Johnston Murphy - $100



How are you planning to show your patriotic spirit this Friday?

No comments:

Post a Comment