Sunday, June 29, 2014

Trashness - An Updated Review

You may remember back in the fall, I reviewed a few shirts from the up-and-coming brand, Trashness. While my review was generally positive, there were a few aspects I thought they could improve upon, especially regarding the OCBD I tested out.


A few weeks ago, co-founder Amin got back in touch with me to let me know they had made some of those very improvements, and sent me a new oxford cloth shirt for an update. This time, I requested a spread collar version, just for some variety:

Product image via the Trashness online store.
You can see the much cleaner finishing on the shirt on the right, from the button-holes to the edge of the fabric itself.
The logo on the right, from the new shirt, is much cleaner. The tonal stitching helps it stick out a bit less as well.
Just another shot of clean stitching along the placket.
Fantastic spread collar.

First, I have to say how much I appreciate Amin reaching back out to me. You hear me praise good customer service left and right, but another (not-as-often examined) aspect of client/customer relationship that I think is just as important is the ability and willingness to take feedback and criticism and grow from it. So right off the bat, Trashness moved up a notch in my book as a brand, regardless of their products.


That said, the new shirt is pretty sharp too! My previous complaints had mainly centered around some sloppy construction - there were a lot of frayed stitches along the seams and placket, as well as some sloppy needlework on the logo at the hip. This update is much cleaner, and compares much better with the denim shirt they sent (that I was much happier with). Check out the comparisons below:

I’m also loving the soft spread collar - normally I’d be a bit peeved at the lack of collar stays or slots, but I honestly think a stiffer/more structured collar would kill the kind of Neapolitan, relaxed-but-sharp-as-a-tack look that I’m really enjoying. While I didn't get to shoot any pics of the full fit of the new shirt, I've worn it a few times, and you can see how it looks in this #WIWT Instagram picture (follow @WideEyesTWBlog, I'm sure you'll see me in it again):

As for the fabric itself, it’s not mind-blowing, but hell, their shirts only run about $40, so I honestly have very little complaint. It’s as hefty as an oxford should be, not flimsy in any way, and the fit remains nice and slim. Granted, I may have mine taken in a tad at the waist, but I’m definitely skinnier than average, so I don’t think they are going wrong with the fit at all. The hand-feel is a tad rough, and I wouldn’t mind it a bit softer, but if previous oxford-cloth experience tells me anything, this will break in just fine over a few washes.


All around, I’d mark Trashness a winner for a solid budget shirt. And again, a solid company run by some good dudes who are really taking the time and effort to listen to their community and put out a quality product.


This was a sponsored review, and the product reviewed was provided to me free of charge. The article, however, remains objective and unbiased and is published without prior editing or review by Trashness. While I love to be given products to review, don't worry, I will never endorse a product I wouldn't wear myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment