Thursday, January 16, 2014

Deals and Steals for the Weekend - 1/17/2013

First, the spiel: "Every weekend, check in on the blog for a collection of the best (read: my favorite) deals and steals on the interweb for some quality shopping over the weekend. Have any to add? Share them in the comments or shoot me an e-mail. Also, if you're biting on any of these hooks, I'd love to hear about it!"

And now the deals:

Ralph Lauren Winter Sale:
Ok, starting off with a repeat, cuz it's just that crazy of a deal. Remember these colorful suede Chukkas I recommended a few months back
Casterton Suede Chukka | Ralph Lauren

At that point they were around $60, if I remember correctly, already a great deal. Well holy hell, look at 'em now. ONLY $40. Need I say more? If these are as nice as they look, this is an unbeatable deal. Come payday tomorrow, I know I'm grabbing a pair. Hell, for that cheap, I might get one of each color.

While we're on Ralph Lauren, I highly recommend taking a look at the Hats/Gloves section of their accessories sale. We've made it through a few months of winter already, but it's still far from over. There's a great selection of hats and gloves as well as scarves that will keep you toasty through the rest of the season at a reasonable price. Personally, I'll probably go for these cashmere-lined leather gloves:
Nappa Cashmere-Lined Gloves | Ralph Lauren
I bought a pair of dress gloves from Frank and Oak earlier this year, but they started to fall apart way too quickly so I had to return them and have been looking for a replacement ever since. These should fit the bill pretty perfectly, and at $42 (down from $98), they won't leave me broke.


Lands' End Canvas:
Not a designated event, but Lands' End Canvas has some darn good-looking deals going on right now. I've read that LEC is being phased out, which is a shame because they offer a more contemporary, slim-fitting take compared to the Lands' End standard. As such, there isn't usually a huge selection, but WOAH, did they just add a ton? Or did I unknowingly have some search filter on yesterday? Regardless, I've got my eye on these slim-fit herringbone chinos, down to $35 from an original price of $88:
Men's 608 Slim Fit Elston Chinos | Lands' End Canvas
I've been dying to get some really wintery trousers (I'm thinking tweed, flannel, etc.). These certainly look nice and wintery, but by using a cotton blend rather than wool, it looks like LEC has kept the pricing down. I'm also hugely impressed by the fact that inseams are offered at 1/4 inch intervals. I've never heard of that before, it's practically a free custom hem-job. On top of that, you can get them cuffed or un-cuffed (or un-finished if you want to go pay to have them hemmed yourself). 

My other recommendation isn't even on sale, but it's still a pretty darn good deal, and I'm considering it myself. Everyone loves a good white OCBD, and I've been wearing mine even more over the past few weeks. I'm not sure why, but I don't really need a reason! Either way, it's made me wish I had a fresh one to wear every day of the week, so this number jumped off the page:
Men's Washed Oxford Shirt | Lands' End Canvas
Even without a discount, these are very affordable at $39, and come with all the necessities: button-down collar, 100% cotton, 'close to the body fit,' a hemline that can be worn tucked or not, you name it. Get both of these (or any other combo over $50) and shipping is free.


Extra 40% Off Final Sale Items at J.Crew:
Ok, this one is kind of a cop out because a) there's only one size left - 32/32, and b) this is definitely a 'planning ahead' purchase that you won't be able to use until the summer. BUT, if that's your size, you're getting and incredible deal, and come summer, you'll be so glad you bought these. I have a pair of oxford-cloth pants from Bonobos that are the most comfortable thing I've ever worn and breezy-cool in the hot summer, and J.Crew's version looks just as nice: 
Bowery Slim in Oxford Cloth | J.Crew
Offered in the slim Bowery fit, these come at a ridiculously low price of $24 after the discount (originally $88). Get it.

To make up for the limited availability and delayed reward of that recommendation, here's a much more season-appropriate and widely sized option, also at an incredibly low price of $24:
Vintage Cord in Slim-Straight Fit | J.Crew
These deep red corduroy pants in slim-straight fit may look like a bold choice, but the softer texture helps mute things a bit, and honestly, the warmth of the color can be a welcome element to your wardrobe on a dreary winter day.


MLK Day Sale at Gap:
There's not a ton of things that I will regularly go to Gap for, but these 'lived-in' chinos are one of them. They are crazy comfortable, and in my experience a bit slimmer than the photos indicate, which leaves them at a perfect balance between casual and dressy. I've worn these with a t-shirt to music festivals and with a dress shirt, tie and blazer to the office. 

Lived-In Slim Khaki | Gap
Lately, I've been on the hunt for a pair of chinos in brown, and at $24 (hmm, popular price for pants these days) these are too good to pass up. 

While you're at it, grab another staple at a steal. A white tee may seem too simple, but throw one on with a pair of dark blue jeans and you'll be rocking a timeless look, comfortable but sharp, rugged yet refined. 
The Essential Crewneck T | Gap

This one is only $9, so you get above-Target quality for below-target prices. Again, too good to pass up.

Happy shopping, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment